Women’s rowing team brought a third silver medal for Vietnam at the Incheon Asian Games 2014 in South Korea on Wednesday as the country ranked 11/24 with one gold, three silvers and 11 bronzes.
Vietnam won the silver in Lightweight Women's Quadruple Sculls, with Le Thi An, Pham Thi Hai, Pham Thi Hue and Pham Thi Hai.
On the same day, Ha Minh Thanh, Bui Thanh Nam and Kieu Thanh Tu won a bronze in 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Men's Team.
According to Lam Quang Thanh, head of Vietnam delegate to the Games, the continent playground has seen tough competition in all sports.
“Even Anh Vien, a strong swimmer in the region, lost to Chinese and Japanese rivals and won a bronze medal on Tuesday,” he said.
Anh Vien, who claimed a gold in women’s 200m individual medley and silver at 800m freestyle at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China last month, is expected to win another medal at the coming 200m medley on September 26, Thanh said.
On Tuesday, Vietnam women’s football team crushed Hong Kong 5-0 in an easy win and will play against Thailand on September 26 at quarterfinal.
Meanwhile, Vietnam’s top badminton player Nguyen Tien Minh, ranked 23, has little hope for a medal as he will face Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand, who ranked 14.
As of 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, China still leads the scoreboard with 44 golds, 24 silvers and 21 bronzes, followed by South Korea and Japan.
Asian Games: Medal events on day 5
Medal events at the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, on the fifth day of competition on Wednesday (all times GMT+9):
- Bowling 9:00am - 6.55pm. Medal events: women's singles
- Track Cycling 4:00pm - 6:52pm. Medal events: men's sprint
- Fencing 9:00am - 8:45pm. Medal events: women's team foil, men's team sabre
- Artistic Gymnastics 7:00pm - 11:00pm. Medal events: men's floor routine, pommel horse, rings, women's vault, uneven bars
- Rowing 10:00am - finish. Medal events: women's pairs, men's lightweight single sculls, women's double sculls, men's lightweight double sculls, women's lightweight quadruple sculls, men's quadruple sculls, women's single sculls
- Shooting 9:00am - 4:20pm. Medal events: men's 25m rapid fire pistol individual/team, women's 50m prone rifle individual/team
- Swimming 7:00pm - 9:00pm. Medal events: men's 100m butterfly, women's 200m freestyle, men's 100m breaststroke, women's 200m butterfly, men's 400m individual medley, women's 100m backstroke, men's 4x100m freestyle relay
- Tennis 10:00am - finish. Medal events: women's team, men's team
- Weightlifting 2:00pm - 9:30pm. Medal events: women's 69kg, men's 85kg
- Wushu 3:00pm - 5:40pm. Medal events: women's 52kg, women's 60kg, men's 56kg, men's 60kg, men's 65kg, men's 70kg, men's 75kg