At age 47, Huynh Thi Le Be takes care of her paralyzed husband and his old and weak mother. She has no help as she is too poor to employ someone and her only child died at age 16 in a traffic accident in 2006.
Two years later, another accident left her husband, Tran Binh Trong, unable to care for himself.
Be has used all her family's savings, sold all the valuable furniture and borrowed from her relatives to pay for the treatment of her husband's brain injuries.
She spent nearly six months with her husband at various hospitals in Quang Ngai Province and nearby Da Nang. In paying Trong's medical bills, Be was able to save her husband's life, but doctors were unable to reverse his paralysis. She now spoon feeds him and cleans his bed pan.
The woman from Van Truong, a poor village in Pho Van Commune, Duc Pho District covers the costs by working on 720 square meters of her family's rice field and selling vegetables at a local market.
Her house has sprung several leaks over the years, but Be simply lacks the money to have them fixed.
"If Trong had not had the accident, my family would not be in such misery," she said.
Donations can be sent to Vietcombank account of Thanh Nien Newspaper at 102010000116341. All donations should be noted as intended for "Huỳnh Thá»‹ Lá»‡ Bê".
They can also be deposited at Thanh Nien offices, nationwide:
- 248 Cong Quynh Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- 2nd floor, No. 17, 167 Tay Son Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi
- 41B Cat Cut Street, Le Chan District, Hai Phong
- 1 Nha Tho Street, Thanh Hoa Town, Thanh Hoa Province
- 144 Bach Dang Street, Da Nang
- A22A Tran Le Street, Da Lat
- 133 Le Loi Street, Quy Nhon Town, Binh Dinh Province
- 120 Thong Nhat Street, Nha Trang
- 88 Vo Thi Sau Street, Bien Hoa Town, Dong Nai Province
- 99 Tran Van Hoai Street, Can Tho.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment