Authorities in northern Vietnam said a 15-year-old boy was electrocuted on Tuesday while wading through his flooded schoolyard after heavy rain.
Pham Tien Dung, a 9th grader student at An Hung High School in Hai Phong City, died on his way to hospital, police said.
They said he was walking to his afternoon class at around 1 p.m. Some of his classmates saw him collapsing on the flooded yard, right in front of the classroom.
The power was turned off immediately and he was rushed to a local hospital.
Doctors said he had succumbed to severe injuries caused by the electrocution.
Initial investigations show that there was a leak from an electric pole nearby. Electricity was then leaking to the water on the schoolyard.
The school reportedly offered VND30 million to the family of the victim, but the offer has been turned down.
“We want local authorities to find out who's responsible for this," a family member told local media.