Vietnam man turns self in for caught-on-camera murder

TN News

Email Print

A man has turned himself in to police for allegedly killing and robbing a gold shop owner in a Hanoi incident that was caught by security camera last week.

According to Hanoi police, Nguyen Huu Duong, 27, turned himself in the northern province of Thai Binh on Saturday, two days after he allegedly killed Nguyen Thi Kim Bac, 55, at her shop in the city's Thuong Tin District.

The man, who hails from Thai Binh, told police that he robbed the Vung Bac shop to pay VND30 million (US$1,400) he owed a bank and three taels of gold (worth around VND134 million or $6,400) he borrowed from his parents.

He killed Bac when she tried to resist the robbery, Duong said.

Initial police reports said a search of Duong's home turned up blood-stained clothes and the bike Duong allegedly used for the crime.

Police said they identified the suspect thanks to the shop's security camera. His picture went viral and 200 officers had been assigned to 28 communes in and around Hanoi to search for him.

According to the man, who got married two years ago and has no children, he took out the bank loan under the name of his father Nguyen Huu Ruong and borrowed money from his parents last year.

On Thursday, Ruong called him, telling him to pay the debt to the bank. Since he had no money, Duong planned to rob a gold shop.

In the morning that day he rode his bike carrying a knife and a taser along National Highway 1A to choose his target.


Man caught on camera killing gold shop owner in northern Vietnam

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

Duong entered the Vung Bac shop at around 4.30 p.m. after ascertaining that only Bac was on duty. Duong pretended that he was trying to sell a fake gold ring he bought previously for VND40,000 ($1.9).

During the transaction, he asked Bac to show him the bathroom and attacked her from behind. He asked the owner to open cases containing gold and money, threatening her with the knife.

But when she tried to resist him, Duong tasered her and stabbed her to death before attempting to break the glass cases in vain.

The footage showed that Duong fled the scene around eight minutes later with a necklace taken from Bac.

He told police that after the murder he rode to Thai Binh and threw away the weapons on the way.

The case is being investigated further.

More Society News