Vietnam boiler explosion kills American man

TN News

Email Print

The scene where Vietnamese-American Nguyen Huu Nhon, 54, was killed by a steam boiler that exploded and was thrown 50 meters, piercing the proof at a restaurant and landing on him. Photo by Kim Cuong

A Vietnamese-American was killed by a steam boiler that came crashing through the roof of a restaurant and landed on him in the southern province of Dong Nai on Saturday.

The 100-kilogram boiler designed to make rice paper exploded as Nguyen Van Thang, 42, was installing it at his rented house in Trang Dai Ward, Bien Hoa Town at around 8 a.m.

The explosion hurled the boiler approximately 50 meters, where it pierced the proof of a restaurant, and landed on Nguyen Huu Nhon, 54.

Nhon had been visiting relatives in Vietnam for about a month.

He was rushed to Dong Nai General Hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

According to news reports, pressure from the explosion also broke the glass windows of many nearby houses. It also severed nearby tree branches and electrical and cable wires.

Dong Nai police said the steel one-meter high, 80-centimeter wide boiler was homemade and had not been inspected by authorities and therefore, Thang had not received permission to operate it.

The investigation is ongoing.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News