* January 14-16 (Friday-Sunday): A musical theater production "The man walking through the valley" will premiere at the Hanoi Opera House, 1 Trang Tien Street. The opera, based on a poem by the renowned medieval German romantic Wolfram von Eschenbach, tells the story of a young knight Parzival, who leaves home and passes "through the valley" to discover the world. Free tickets are available at the Goethe Institute, 56-58 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi. Tel: (04) 3 734 2251 /52/53/ext.9.
* January 15-20 (Saturday-Thursday): "Buddha's Dream" an exhibition of terracotta sculptures by Nguyen Tuan will be held at the Vietnam Fine Arts Museum, 66 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi. The museum is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
* January 18 (Tuesday): An electronic music night with Tha Trickaz, self-labeled "Tha Vietnamists", will be held at L'Espace, the French Culture Center, 24 Trang Tien Street, Hanoi. Tha Trickaz will showcase a combination of '90s hip-hop and electro music such as dubstep or drum and bass. Tickets are available at L'Escape for VND50,000 per couple.
* January 19 (Wednesday): EuroCham business luncheon "A Vision for Education in Vietnam Building the future talent pool" will be held from 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Diamond Hall in Sofitel Plaza Hotel, 17 Le Duan Boulevard, District 1, HCMC. Guest speakers: Madame Ton Nu Thi Ninh, former Ambassador to EU and former vice chairman of National Assembly and currently founding president of Tri Viet University Project; and Vu Kim Hanh, executive director, The Center for Business Study and Assistance (BSA), also one of the founders of Tri Viet University. Fee: VND550,000 for members and co-hosted members and VND850,000 for non-members. For further queries or registration, contact Ms. Thuy at firstname.lastname@example.org or (08) 3 827 2715.
* January 20 (Thursday): A contemporary ballet "Minus" will premier at Hanoi Opera House, starting 8 p.m. The ballet is set to the music by well-known British composer Scanner and Italian composer Ezio Bosso, with stunning costumes designed by Vietnamese designer La Hang. Tickets range from VND150,000 to VND500,000 and are available at the Opera House, 1 Trang Tien Street. For free ticket delivery, call Do Phuong at 091 348 9858.
* Through February 2 (Wednesday): Artist Nguyen Trung presents "Grey White Black" a painting exhibition dominated by the eponymous colors. The exhibition, Trung's first in six years, is being held at Galerie Quynh, 65 De Tham Street, District 1, HCMC. The gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Tuesday to Saturday.