Tourist death in central Vietnam not from poison: autopsy

TN News

Email Print

Forensic tests have found no poisons in the body of an American tourist, one of two women travelers who died mysteriously in the central resort town of Nha Trang more than two months ago.

Police in Nha Trang on Tuesday announced the results of tests conducted by the National Institute of Forensic Science in Hanoi, saying Karin Joy Bowerman died of "acute respiratory and blood circulation decline due to swelling in brain."

It said no poisons were found in her blood and stomach fluid, Tuoi Tre reported.

Bowerman died at Khanh Hoa Province General Hospital on the night of July 30 soon after she was admitted with dizziness, low blood pressure and breathing problems.

Her body was then cremated in Ho Chi Minh City at her family's request, and her ashes were sent back to the US.

Her Vietnamese Canadian colleague and travel companion, Cathy Huynh, also 27, was admitted to the hospital the same day, but she recovered and was discharged. She then fell sick again and was hospitalized again. She died at the hospital early on August 2.

The women had no external injuries.

The two tourists were English teachers in South Korea, having traveled together and shared a room at a guesthouse at 54A Nguyen Thien Thuat Street in Nha Trang.

RELATED CONTENT

They suffered dizziness and vomiting on July 30, one day after they checked into the guesthouse.

Huynh's family refused to leave her body in Vietnam for tests. But health authorities in Toronto managed to convince the family to let them test her after the body arrived in August 10. But they said the tests' might not be accurate because her body had been preserved with too much formaldehyde injected in Vietnam. 

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News