Taiwan arrests 2 suspects in murder of Vietnamese businesswoman

By Lam Vien, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Ha Thuy Linh in a file photo supplied by her family. Ha Thuy Linh in a file photo supplied by her family.


Taiwanese police have arrested two local men in connection to the murder of a Vietnamese businesswoman in China last September, the woman’s family said Tuesday.
The family watched a news report by Taipei Television showing local police arrest the two suspects while they were hiding in Taiwan and recognized one of them, they told Thanh Nien.
According to the report, Taiwanese police arrested Huang Sheng Cai (黃聖財), 63, and Chen Jun Cheng (陳濬承), 42, on March 23.
Huang Sheng Cai is believed to be the mastermind behind the murder of Ha Thuy Linh, director of Ha Linh Ltd. Co., a tea company in Vietnam’s Central Highlands province of Lam Dong.
The Vietnamese businesswoman reportedly came to China on September 19, 2015 to sign a contract to sell oolong tea.
After she landed at an airport in Guangdong Province, she was allegedly poisoned and attacked by unidentified men. She was then robbed and abandoned in an empty land plot.
After she gained consciousness, she called for help and was taken to a police station.
After making a report to the local police, she came to a hotel and stayed there but her condition got worse. She was taken to hospital on the evening of September 21 and died the following morning, at the age of 45. 
Chinese police then identified the two suspects, but they fled the country to Taiwan.
According to Linh’s family, Huang Sheng Cai, one of the two suspects arrested in Taiwan, used to work at an oolong tea plant owned by Linh’s Taiwanese ex-husband in Da Lat, the capital town of Lam Dong Province.
Before the divorce, she was the deputy director of the tea company set up by her husband. After they separated, she founded her own company in 2008, which is known as one of the largest oolong tea exporters in Lam Dong.
Chinese authorities delayed the hand-over of Linh’s body to her family twice for investigation. Her body was finally sent home on February 4, 2016.

More Society News