Sole survivor of sunken ship handed over to Philippines Embassy in Vietnam

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Chef Angelito Capindo Rojas (L) receives a gift from the Vietnam Maritime Rescue Coordination Center in Vung Tau on January 6. Photo credit: VNA Chef Angelito Capindo Rojas (L) receives a gift from the Vietnam Maritime Rescue Coordination Center in Vung Tau on January 6. Photo credit: VNA

RELATED NEWS

Angelito Capindo Rojas, chef of sunken cargo ship Bulk Jupiter, was handed over to representatives of the Philippines Embassy in Hanoi in Vung Tau Town, Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province on Tuesday, the Vietnam News Agency reported.
The 43-year-old chef, who is now in stable condition, is the sole survivor of the Bulk Jupiter so far as the Bahamian cargo ship sank at 150 nautical miles off Vung Tau southeastern coast on January 2 with 19 members on board.
The ship, owned by Bermuda-based Gearbulk Holdings, was carrying 46,400 metric tons of bauxite from Malaysia to China, the company said.
Maritime rescue forces from Ba Ria–Vung Tau saved the chef and recovered two bodies - Captain Ronel Acueza Andrin and 24-year-old sailor Jerome Maquilang Dinoy.
The two bodies will be handed over to the Philippine Embassy’s representatives on January 7, according to the Vietnam News Agency.
Bad weather on Monday hampered the search for the 16 Philippine seamen on the Bulk Jupiter.
"The weather is very bad with high waves and strong winds," said Pham Hien, vice president of the Vung Tau Maritime Rescue Coordination Center, which is leading the search.
 "We are all hoping but until now, no further survivor has been found," he told Reuters by telephone.
Vietnam has asked Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines and China to help in the search and authorities are working with the sole survivor to try to determine why the ship capsized and sank.

More Society News