A photo supplied by Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City shows a patient being treated for complications caused by direct injections of liquid silicon
A woman being treated at Ho Chi Minh City's Cho Ray hospital for silicon injections administered all over her body died on Sunday from blood poisoning.
The 57-year-old patient from the Mekong Delta Province of Tra Vinh, identified only as H. was pale, sweating from high fever and unable to form comprehensible sentences when she was admitted the previous day.
Tests found liquid silicon in her breasts, cheeks, temples and neck areas as well as her hands and feet. Her injection spots were infected, swollen and oozing yellow liquid.
Information obtained by doctors showed that had become exhausted and suffered trouble breathing soon after purchasing the injections from a street provider on April 24 for VND10 million (US$474).
Plastic surgeons at the hospital said it was the first time they had seen a patient with so much liquid silicon in her body.
One physician said the hospital has seen many patients from the delta who have paid for direct injections of liquid silicon. There used to be many such patients from Binh Duong Province, near HCMC.
Liquid silicon is used in industrial production and is banned from use in health services due to its fatal properties.
Injections usually lead to bacterial infections that invariably cause fatal blood contamination.
If the injection hits a vein, the silicon will block blood vessels and lead to pulmonary embolism which quickly kills a person, the doctor said.
“It’s worrying that there are so many street providers of cosmetics services who are willing to inject people with liquid silicon.”
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment