Rains, floods in Quang Ninh kill 17, 7 fishermen missing

By Linh Linh, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Soldiers search at a landslide site caused by violent floods in Ha Long Town in the northern province of Quang Ninh on July 28. At least 17 people have been killed in the worst flooding for 40 years in Vietnam's northern Quang Ninh province, home to the UNESCO-listed Halong Bay tourist site. Photo: AFP Soldiers search at a landslide site caused by violent floods in Ha Long Town in the northern province of Quang Ninh on July 28. At least 17 people have been killed in the worst flooding for 40 years in Vietnam's northern Quang Ninh province, home to the UNESCO-listed Halong Bay tourist site. Photo: AFP

RELATED NEWS

A lingering low-pressure area has triggered floods, landslides and rough seas in northern Vietnam, killing at least 17 people in Quang Ninh and sinking two fishing boats near Ha Long Bay.
The medical center at Quang Ninh’s Co To Island Tuesday treated Nguyen Van Tuan, 23, who was among seven people on board a fishing boat that sank near the island a day earlier, local media reported.
Doctors said Tuan had drunk too much seawater and suffered injuries after being knocked into rocks.
Tuan said he and six others from Thanh Hoa Province went fishing two weeks ago and their boat was sunk by strong waves and heavy rains at around 2 p.m. on July 27 some 20km off Co To Island, he said.
He managed to stay afloat clinging to a plastic can for 20 hours and swam ashore.
“I am ok now but I am really worried for the others,” VnExpress quoted him as saying.
Co To naval officials have sent rescuers to look for the others.
Also on July 27 another fishing boat with seven people on board sank off Hai Phong city’s Cat Ba Island.
Nearby boats managed to save six but the seventh fisherman is still missing.
The Quang Ninh Search and Rescue Commission reported 17 people had been killed as of late Tuesday after torrential rains began in the province Sunday, triggering flooding and landslides.
Fourteen of the victims were in Ha Long town and the rest in Cam Pha town.
They included a woman and two children who were found drowned in a flooded house in Ha Long.
At least 1,500 tourists have been stranded on Co To Island as all boats have been banned from going out into the rough seas since July 26.
Rescuers Tuesday found the body of a 14-year-old boy, the last of nine people of a family buried in a landslide in Ha Long on July 26. A 37-year-old man is being treated for serious injuries.
More than 3,500 people have been evacuated to safety in Quang Ninh’s worst ever inundation in which some areas have been submerged in up to 4m of water.
Thousands of soldiers have been mobilized to help local residents in flooded areas and sites hit by landslides.
Nearly 3,000 houses were flooded, with total losses estimated at VND1 trillion (US$46 million).

More Society News