Ho Chi Minh City police said Wednesday they would resume investigations into the case where a Dutch man was allegedly beaten, tasered and stripped off his pants by private security guards at a local restaurant last July.
They had said in January that the case was closed due to insufficient evidence found at the end of a four month investigation period designated for the case, the Tuoi Tre newspaper reported on Thursday.
The incident happened at around 7:20 p.m. on July 30 last year when the Vietnamese Dutch, Le Van Ngai, 61, finished dinner at the Minh Duc Restaurant on Ton That Tung Street in District 1.
According to Ngai, after stepping out of the restaurant, he asked one of the restaurant's guards standing out in the front to retrieve his motorbike. The young man allegedly responded rudely and told him to get his own bike.
After reprimanding the young man, he walked to the restaurant's parking area across the street and mounted his motorbike. At that point, he was allegedly tasered and set upon by a pack of five guards wielding clubs and stun guns.
One of the guards chased Ngai and stripped off his pants in an unsuccessful effort to seize his cell phone, he claimed.
Eleven days after the incident, District 1 investigators on August 10 launched an official probe into the case and arrested the three guards of Thanh Cong Saigon Motorbike Security Company accused of beating Ngai.
However, after four months of investigation, the case was suspended. Investigators said they had not been able to judge what part each guard had played in Ngai's injuries.
Ngai then submitted a petition for resuming the investigation.
Police on Wednesday re-arrested the three guards - Duong Trong Nghia, 20, Bui Dinh Hoang, 23 and Nguyen Minh Duong, 34.