Police nab Malaysian man for alleged murder of American friend in Vietnam hotel

By Dam Huy, Thanh Nien News

Email Print


Chuah Chowfay escorted to police custody after he was arrested in Tay Ninh Province near Ho Chi Minh City on Friday . Photo: Dam Huy

Ho Chi Minh City police arrested Friday a Malaysian man who allegedly killed an American national in a hotel in District 5.
Chuah Chowfay, 30, was arrested at a border gate in Tay Ninh Province near HCMC when he was about to leave the country.
According to police, Chowfay came into a hotel room to meet Kwok Alexk, 45, at around 5:45 pm on Thursday.
Around 15 minutes later, a hotel receptionist named Xuan heard some big noise from the room. He came up to the room to check and knocked on the door.
A man inside the room said it was okay and that they were having a conversation, Xuan said.
The receptionist left. Five minutes later, he received a phone call purportedly from Alexk, who said everything was okay and that his friend was about to leave.
Chowfay then went downstairs, with his body sweating. Xuan felt suspicious and came upstairs to check again.
He found Alexk lying on the floor with blood all over his body. Alexk was rushed to hospital but he was pronounced dead.
Thanks to the surveillance camera, the police suspected Chowfay could be the culprit of the murder. Several task forces were immediately dispatched to Tan Son Nhat airport in HCMC and border gates in Tay Ninh and Long An provinces to ambush him.
Dung questioning, Chowfay told police Alexk wanted to borrow him some money but he refused to. They argued and picked up a fight.
He said Alexk grabbed a paper-cutting knife on the table to stab him but he grabbed the knife back and stabbed on Alexk’s neck.
Alexk collapsed. Chowfay took off Alexk’s clothes and put them on as his clothes were stained with blood.
After getting out of the hotel, he threw the blood-stained clothes and knife into the canal under Nguyen Tri Phuong Bridge in District 5.
He got back to his hotel room, packed up and took a bus to Tay Ninh’s border gate.
According to police, Chowfay entered Vietnam in 2011. In August of that year, he used a fake credit card to buy goods in HCMC’s Nguyen Kim electronics supermarket and was arrested.
He was then sentenced to three years in jail.
The police are still investing the case.

More Society News