Phu My Bridge fully open after half-year delay

TN News

Email Print

Ho Chi Minh City's largest bridge opened to all vehicles Thursday, after large vehicles had been prohibited since the bridge's official opening six months ago.

Motorbikes crossing the cable-stayed Phu My Bridge linking Districts 2 and 7 over the Saigon River pay no tolls while other vehicles won't pay fees until April 1, said Nguyen Thanh Thai, director general of the Phu My Bridge BOT Joint Stock Company (PMC).

Thai said the city's Department of Transport's latest decision would shorten distances from District 2 to seaports in Districts 4 and 7 by some 10 kilometers.

It also cut the distance from District 2 to several Mekong Delta provinces by more than 20 kilometers, he added.

The Ho Chi Minh City Transport Association also said the VND2-trillion bridge would save some VND750 million (US$40,192) per day in fuel costs.

Previously PMC and transport companies complained that delaying the full opening of the bridge had caused them big losses.

PMC said it had calculated losses of some VND200 billion (US$10.7 million) a month in uncollected fees.

More Society News