Party official's wife arrested after knifing creditors

TN News

Email Print

Police in southern Vietnam arrested the wife of a communal Party unit leader on Wednesday (January 16) after she allegedly slashed and severely injured two people she owed money to.

A police official of Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province's Chau Duc District said on condition of anonymity that Le Thi Huong, 37, had been summoned on Tuesday evening for questioning but was allowed to go home following the request of her husband Vo Thanh My, Secretary of the Kim Long Commune Party unit.

The officer said police had accepted his request since they heard first that the victims had only suffered slight injuries. 

Initial investigations showed that Phan Ngoc Nga, 52, and her husband, Nguyen Chi Hung, 53, came to Huong's house at 3 p.m. on Tuesday to collect the money that latter owed them. They came after Huong had called them.

Huong had borrowed VND80 million (US$3,838) from Nga early last year.

Hung told the Tien Phong (Vanguard) newspaper that he had reminded Huong about the debt many times but she kept delaying repayment.

When they arrived at the Huong's house, they were asked to wait for her husband to come and repay the money.

While waiting, Huong asked Hung to take his children some bananas and chicken eggs from her garden.

As Hung did so, she approached and attacked him with a kitchen knife.

He screamed and fainted. Hearing her husband scream, Nga rushed out. Huong chased and knifed her. Nga fainted in front of Huong's house. 

Huong fled the scene and hid at an unidentified acquaintance's house.

The couple were taken to the provincial hospital at first and transferred to a major hospital in Ho Chi Minh City at around 8.30 p.m.

Hung had three slashes on his head, cracks on his skull, a broken left elbow, tendon rupture and other injuries on his hands, while Nga had many slashes on her head.

Hung's relatives said doctors at the Cho Ray Hospital had reattached his hands' tendons and plastered the fracture. Both husband and wife were still very weak, they said.  

On Wednesday afternoon, Huong was transferred to provincial police headquarters for further investigation.

More Society News