One dead in HCMC hotel fire

TN News

Email Print

One person died and two others were seriously injured when a hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 8 caught fire on Friday night, officials said.

Eyewitnesses saw flames shoot out from Room 202 on the first floor of the three-storied Giang Binh Hotel at about 11 p.m. before the fire spread to neighboring rooms.

Firefighters responded quickly and rushed five people to the hospital, two of them in critical condition.

The person found dead was in Room 202, said Vo Van Son, deputy head of District 8's Fire Fighting Police Department.

He also said that the person's sex was yet to be identified as the body was burnt very badly.

A hotel staff member said the fire began in Room 202 soon after a couple rented it.

Meanwhile, a woman whose son shared a room at the Cho Ray Hospital with one of the two men seriously injured in the fire, said that the man had told her his story.

Identified only as K., the man said he received a call from his ex-girlfriend named N. insisting that he meets her at the Giang Binh Hotel for the last time.

He agreed. After entering into the room, N. locked the door, doused them in gasoline and set themselves on fire. K. tried to escape, while N. died in the room. K. is married.

Police are investigating the fire.

More Society News