Two more patients succumbed to the injuries they sustained by inhaling electrical generator fumes released into a closed karaoke room in the northern province of Quang Ninh, bringing the total fatalities to nine.
Nguyen Quoc Khanh, 22, died on the morning of Sep. 13 at his house in Quang Ninh after his family asked doctors to let them bring him home after midnight.
Pham Viet Chuong, 21, died on Sep. 10 while his family was bringing him home from Quang Ninh General Hospital. Doctors said his condition had failed to improve and he would not survive.
Khanh and Chuong were among the group of 11 men and one woman who went to the Queen Club karaoke parlor in Hai Ha District on Sunday evening.
The group rented a room to sing karaoke songs and planned to go all night.
After a power outage occurred at around 11:30pm on September 7, the karaoke parlor’s owner, Nguyen Huu Tuyen, and the rest of his staff headed home home, leaving the parlor's manager, Dinh Van Thuan, 29, in charge.
Thuan reportedly brought a gas-powered generator into the karaoke room so the group could continue singing.
At around 3:30pm, on Monday, the parlor’s employees found a dozen people passed out in the room.
Six men, including Thuan, were found dead. Six others were rushed to hospital and three have since died.
Of the three survivors being treated at two hospitals in Quang Ninh, a man named Cao Van Nam, 27, was the only to recover. He remains unable to speak.
The other two remain in critical condition.