Mekong Delta man dies after eating raw bat blood

By Thanh Phong, Thanh Nien News

Email Print


A man in the Mekong Delta province of Bac Lieu died after eating congealed bat blood at home, a local hospital said Sunday.
The Phuoc Long District General Hospital said Huynh Minh Hoi, 59, was admitted to the hospital last Friday evening and was diagnosed with food poisoning.
He died three hours later.
His family said Hoi and his friends drank alcohol and ate raw bat blood and bat meat, a popular treat for drinkers in the delta.
Hoi had nearly finished eating a bowl of blood and several glasses of liquor when he felt sick.
He had terrible stomach ache and diarrhea, developed convulsions and collapsed in the restroom. He was rushed to hospital.
His friends who also ate the blood seemed unaffected and had no symptoms of food poisoning. However, it was not clear if they also ate the bat blood dish.

More Society News