Man stabs doctor to death after brother dies at hospital

TN News

Email Print

Police in the northern province of Thai Binh have pressed murder charges against a man who allegedly fatally stabbed a doctor and injured another after his brother was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Nguyen Van Dung, 18, is being detained while the police are still investigating his motive for the killing.

At around 11 p.m. on Monday (August 15), Dung, his mother and several relatives brought his 20-year-old brother, Nguyen Van Hung, to the Vu Thu District General Hospital.

Hung was reported to be in critical condition. Dr. Pham Duc Giau, 60, and a male nurse were on duty. Dr. Nguyen Ngo Hoan, 30, was assigned to the emergency room to assist Giau.

According to Hoan, who was injured but has been recovering, the patient was rushed to emergency room with his limbs cold, lips turning purple and hardly breathing.

"Doctors soon could not measure his blood pressure or feel his pulse," Hoan said. "His blood circulation had stopped."

According to a nurse on duty, Dung had repeatedly yelled at the doctors, threatening to kill them if they could not save his brother.

The doctors called the police and two police officers and a militiaman were sent to the hospital to keep order.

Hung, however, died after more than one hour of treatment.

After Hung's family was informed of the news, three doctors and a nurse invited Hung's mother and relatives into a room and explained the cause of his death.

Dung suddenly entered the room, pulled a knife, and stabbed Hoan in the stomach. Hoan narrowly escaped death.

When the relatives held Dung, another doctor and a nurse managed to run away. Giau could not escape after Dung struggled out of the relatives' arms and stabbed Giau in the chest.

Giau died on the spot. Dung fled the scene quickly, according to police.

Dung jumped on a xe om (motorbike taxi) and hid in a rented apartment but was arrested at around 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

The police said they are still investigating the conduct of the doctors on duty to see if they were acting slowly after the patient was rushed to the emergency room, which may have led to Dung's rampage.

Tran Quy Tuong, who led a team of officers from the Health Ministry to the Vu Thu District Hospital to investigate the case, told the Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper that the officers did not find any wrongdoings by the doctors during their treatment process.

Colonel Tran Xuan Tuyet, chief of the Thai Binh Province Police Department, told Tuoi Tre Dung had demanded that the doctors save his brother immediately and kicked the post with hanging infusion cords.

Giau had required him to get out of the emergency room, Tuyet said.

After Hung was confirmed dead, the doctors prevented Dung from touching the dead body and invited the family to another room, he added.

A forensic test by the Vu Thu District Hospital showed Hung died from reflux syndrome in which food flows back into the gullet and obstructs the respiratory system.

More Society News