Man sets woman on fire for rejecting him in central Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

Phan Thi Hai Yen being treated before she died at the Da Nang Hospital on April 21

A 23-year-old woman in Da Nang died from severe burns on April 21 after being set ablaze the day before by a man whose romantic overtures she had rejected.

Phan Thi Hai Yen of the city's Thanh Khe District succumbed to the burns around 7:30 on Sunday at the intensive care unit of the Da Nang Hospital to her burns that cover over 90 percent of her body.

The incident happened at around 8 p.m. on April 20 when Yen and her friends were at the Dong Thoi Gian Club on Le Dinh Duong Street in Hai Chau District.

Her friends said Yen had received a phone call and walked to the street to talk a man that was later identified as Nguyen Phuoc Thanh.

Suddenly, Thanh poured a five-liter can of gasoline on Yen and set her on fire.

Local residents used a wet blanket to cover Yen and put out the fire, some of them incurring minor burns in the process. The fire also spread to the signboard of a nearby teahouse as well as to two motorbikes.

"The fire consumed her body. Many people used water and wet blankets to extinguish the fire while the culprits jumped onto the bike and fled," said a witness who wished to remain anonymous.

Phan Hai Son, Yen's father, said his daughter works as a graphic designer for a company in the Hoa Khanh Industrial Zone. Recently, a man began calling her frequently, wanting to begin a relationship. Yen, who was already engaged to a man she is due to wed next month, refused the man's advances, he said.

On Monday, Hai Chau District Police Division said Thanh, turned himself in to the police at around 1 a.m. that same day.


Thanh, 39, works at an auto repair shop in Hai Chau District. He had fled to Nghe An Province before being encouraged by his family to surrender to the police.


At the police station, Thanh admitted to trying to kill Yen in revenge for having refused his propositions.


He acknowledged that he first met Yen at the Dong Thoi Gian Club, that he attempted to court her and that Yen had rejected him, explaining she had a boyfriend.


Hai Chau police said that the day before the crime on April 19, Thanh came to the club but Yen's friends would not allow him to force Yen to talk with him.

More Society News