Ho Chi Minh City apologizes after foreign tourist robbed in downtown

By Trung Hieu - Duc Tien, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Egyptian tourist Alaa Mohammad Abdu Ali Aldoh at a news conference in Ho Chi Minh City on March 16, 2016 as she receives apology from the city officials over a recent street robbery. Photo: Trung Hieu Egyptian tourist Alaa Mohammad Abdu Ali Aldoh at a news conference in Ho Chi Minh City on March 16, 2016 as she receives apology from the city officials over a recent street robbery. Photo: Trung Hieu

RELATED NEWS

Ho Chi Minh City authorities have publicly apologized to an Egyptian tourist who was robbed of her bag on a downtown street last week. 
Alaa Mohammad Abdu Ali Aldoh, 21, met local officials and the press on Wednesday, recalling what she described as a very scary incident.
Two men snatched her bag while she was walking with a foreign friend along a downtown street last Friday afternoon, two days after her arrival.
She could not stop crying after that. Locals then took her to the police.
Aldoh said she has traveled to ten countries and it was the first time she had felt so scared. She confirmed that she lost US$230, a phone charger, some personal papers but she still has her passport.
The tourist said she will be resuming her month-long Vietnam travel plan. She said she will visit Hue, the caves in Quang Binh Province, Sa Pa, Hanoi and some other destinations in the north. 
Aldoh said she still loves Ho Chi Minh City and its friendly people. She suggested that the city install more security cameras to help reduce street crimes.
Her story and photos of her crying have gone viral.
Many foreigners expressed their frustration, criticizing the city for failing to maintain security. Some said that HCMC is just like any other cities and visitors should protect themselves and their belongings on the streets.
A travel company in the city has announced to sponsor Aldoh’s trip across Vietnam.

More Society News