Heavy drinking rather than toxic hooch was the cause of death of the three men who died after a Lunar New Year party two weeks ago in the southern Vietnamese province of Binh Duong, local health authorities have clarified.
Local news website VnExpress quoted the provincial Department of Health's inspectorate as saying Sunday that excessive alcohol had led to the failure of their kidney and liver and critical damage to other organs.
No toxic substances were present in the blood samples of Le Anh Tuan, 31, Chau Anh Trung, 41, and Tran Huu Dong, 43, the inspectors said.
On Tet on January 23, Tuan invited his relatives -- Trung and Dong, and 32-year-old Ngo Hoang Anh, his brother-in-law --to drink in his house.
They reportedly drank around a liter of rice wine.
The next day all four began to vomit and experience headache and dizziness, VnExpress said.
Tuan, Trung and Dong died in hospital later that day, while Anh survived after six days of treatment apparently because he drank less than the others.
Senior Lieutenant-Colonel Pham Xuan Truong, chief of the Binh Duong police office, said the police were yet to find out where Tuan had bought the rice wine.