Buses on five specific Ho Chi Minh City routes will soon use onboard ticket machines instead of employing people as fare collectors.
The machines, which accept cash only, will be placed on June 1 on 150 buses traveling five routes:
- Vietnam National University HCMC Dormitory - Mien Tay Bus Station
- Cho Lon Station - Hiep Thanh Station
- Le Hong Phong - Vietnam National University HCMC
- Ben Thanh Market - An Suong Station
- An Suong Station - University of Agriculture and Forestry University
Cameras will be installed on the buses to record passengers' ticket purchases, said Phung Dang Hai, general director of the HCMC Bus Cooperatives Alliance.
Hai also said that using ticket-vending machines, worth VND14 million (US$738) each, would save costs given that bus operators currently pay ticket sellers a monthly salary of VND3-4 million.