Hanoi has asked Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung to allow the construction of licensed high-rise building projects in the capital city to continued despite a ban imposed by the government late last year.
Prime Minister Dung ordered Hanoi to stop demolishing old villas and constructing high-rise buildings in mid December and the city followed the instruction immediately, Deputy Chairman of the Hanoi People's Committee Phi Thai Binh was quoted by the Vietnam Economic Times as saying Thursday.
However, there have been many problems in the implementation of the regulation, Binh said.
Many projects are still under construction and others have already finished site clearance procedures, he said. "If these projects have to be halted, it will be a huge waste of money."
The city has also requested guidance from the government so that it can start creating plans to restore and preserve its old streets and villas that have historical value. The city administration said old villas that are too old and can no longer be used should be torn down and rebuilt.