Hanoi's committee of the Party Friday cancelled firework displays planned at 28 of the 29 spots for the city's millennial anniversary this weekend, VnExpress reported.
Now the display will be held at My Dinh Stadium only, the news source said.
According to the committee, all funds set aside for the Sunday display, which was expected to be the biggest ever in Vietnam will be sent in aids to central provinces hit by floods last week.
Also Friday the capital began raising donations for the flood victims, the news website said, adding that so far, Hanoi has donated VND1 billion (US$51,289) to each of them.
The latest reports from the Central Committees of Storm and Flood Control showed that at least 52 people have died in floods, while property losses were estimated at thousands of billions of dong.
The city's Party committee made the announcement four days after two containers carrying fireworks exploded at My Dinh Stadium, killing four and injuring another four.
The incident, according to Nguyen Duc Nhanh, director of Hanoi Police Department, was caused by "mistakes" during transportation.