The driver and conductor of a public bus in Hanoi were suspended Tuesday after they were accused of knocking out a passenger in front of many others the day earlier, local news website VnExpress said.
According to the passengers, the man who was attacked was around 40 years old. He pressed the button signaling that he needed to get off, but the bus driver didn't stop, leading to an argument.
"The driver and the conductor pulled him down the street and beat him until he became unconscious," an eyewitness said when calling VnExpress to report the case.
The driver Le Hai Dang and conductor Nguyen Dinh Dung were working on a bus belonging to the Thang Long Public Bus Enterprise under the Hanoi Transport Corporation.
Le Duc Hung, deputy director of the company, has confirmed the incident.
Another passenger named Nam said the bus was carrying around 40 people but the driver locked the door so they couldn't get out to help the man as he was beaten and kicked into the face.
Hung said the company will identify the victim and apologize to him. They will also pay him compensation, he added.
He said one of their drivers was sacked last year for picking a fight with a passenger.
It was not clarified why the bus driver refused to stop when the passenger wanted to get off.
The Thang Long Bus Enterprise employs nearly 1,000 people on 144 public buses that ply in Hanoi.