Hanoi authorities have again scaled down a fireworks display planned for Sunday, following a deadly explosion this week, Vietnamnet reported Saturday.
In the latest move, Nguyen The Thao, chairman of Hanoi's People's Committee ordered that the display will take place at My Dinh Stadium's stand B only, instead of both stands B and A.
According to news website VnExpress, most VIP guests, including international delegates, will sit at stand A.
Capital authorities also asked police to set up security around the staging area at stand B, VnExpress said, adding that all security measures for the grand festival will be strengthened as well.
On Wednesday two containers carrying fireworks exploded at the stadium, killing four people one Singaporean and two Germans, and a Vietnamese.
The incident, according to Hanoi's Police Department Director Nguyen Duc Nhanh, was caused by "mistakes" during transportation.
Two days after the explosion, Hanoi's committee of the Party announced that the city would cancel fireworks displays at 29 points around the city, except for My Dinh Stadium.
According to the committee, all the funds assigned for the country's biggest-ever fireworks display, were instead sent to aid flood victims in the central region.
Asked about the possibility of saving money for flooded areas, considering all fireworks have already been imported from foreign countries, Municipal Party Committee Secretary Pham Quang Nghi told Vietnamnet that all fireworks, except for those planned at the stadium, were produced locally.
The city is also saving money by not buying more fireworks from other countries to make up for the loss after the explosion, he stressed.
In fact, municipal authorities have ordered the Hanoi International Manpower Supply and Trade Company Limited (Interserco) to buy new fireworks from Z212 Factory under the Ministry of National Defense, Vietnamnet reported.
Hanoi is also stepping up its fundraising efforts for flood victims in the central region, Nghi added.
So far, the city has sent VND5 billion (US$256,476) to affected provinces, according to Tuoi Tre.