Gate to HCMC house electrocutes woman during downpour

TN News

Email Print

A woman was electrocuted during heavy rains Tuesday night when she touched the iron gate door to her rented house in Ho Chi Minh City's District 7.

A Wednesday Vnexpress report said 21-year-old Nguyen Thi Be from the central province of Thua Thien Hue collapsed in the alley that was around 30 centimeters under water.

The garment worker tried to seek help but the road was flooded and people nearby said they didn't know how to help as they were afraid of getting electrocuted themselves.

"Be cried out for help but the gate was electrified by then, so no one dared to try and save her," said Le Thi Tam, Be's roommate in the same house.

Be was dragged out of the water 15 minutes later when Nguyen Van Thanh, a 48-year-old neighbor found that the gate had been electrified by the power cable to a public light bulb and broke the circuit.

She was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

Local power workers later found out that the gate had been electrified by 220-voltage electric current as a cable from the city network to the light in the alley that the residents had installed on their own had been burnt and exposed.

Be's roommates said they'd come home earier and felt a numbing sensation when they touched the gate, but did not realize it was caused by a power leakage.

Local power firms and authorities have denied responsibility for the leakage.

A lot of construction activity has been happening in the alley to install water pipelines and other works.

Local authorities have said they are investigating the case further.

More Society News