Gas-tank explosion kills technician in US consulate in Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

A Vietnamese air-conditioning technician was reported killed in a gas-tank explosion in a warehouse of the US consulate in Ho Chi Minh City Thursday afternoon.

The accident occurred at around 3 p.m. when Duong Trong Han, 33, was carrying out maintenance at the site in District 3 when gas leaked and the tank exploded.

Some newspapers reported that Han caused the leakage.

The pressure of the blast slammed the gas tank into Han, hitting him on his head and killing him instantly.

The tank then went on to hit the door of the warehouse, denting it, according to Dan Viet newspaper.

At least five other employees were injured, the newspaper reported.

The body of Han, who hailed from Dong Thap Province, was taken to nearby An Binh Hospital in District 5 for an autopsy.

The police are investigating.

Le Thanh An, the US consul, said: "The ambassador and I and the entire US Mission in Vietnam send our deepest condolences and sympathies to the family of Mr. Duong Trong Han.

"Mr. Duong will be deeply missed by all those who had the good fortune to know him.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this most difficult time."

Han had worked for the consulate for five years.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News