Gas station attendant's error leads to car fire in Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

A car caught fire on January 12 at a gas station in Hanoi after a lighted cigarette was tossed into a gutter, where employees had siphoned gas that had been erroneously placed in the car's tank.

Le Thi Thu Ha, 27, the car's owner, told Thanh Nien on the next day that she had yet to reach an agreement with the gas station regarding compensation.

The accident occurred at around 9 p.m. on Dong Da District's Lang Street. 

Witnesses said Ha asked the gas station to fill her car with VND1 million (US$48) worth of diesel fuel, but the employee mistakenly pumped high octane A95 gas into the vehicle.

Realizing the mistake, employees instructed Ha to move her car 10 meters from the gas pump to siphon the A95 gas out of it.

A flow of gas ran to the nearby gutter, which a passerby tossed a half-smoked cigarette into. A fire quickly erupted, lighting the car ablaze, they said.

"I saw a fire break out from Lang Street, and then spread through the gutter to the position of the car parked inside," Ha was quoted by Dan Tri as saying on January 13.

The fire was put out within 30 minutes by gas station employees, locals and Lang Thuong Ward police, according to Dan Tri.

Fortunately, the fire did not reach nearby gas pumps, but the car's back and undercarriage were severely damaged.

Police are investigating.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News