Four motorbikes burnt inside northern Vietnam home

TN News

Email Print

Another mysterious vehicle fire in northern Vietnam burnt four motorbikes and the house they were parked in early Wednesday.

Bui Phu Hanh, the house owner in Phu Tho Province around 80 kilometers from Hanoi, said the fire started at around 1 am when his family was sleeping.

They heard an explosive sound followed by a burning smell, and found a fire in the kitchen, Hanh told the Tuoi Tre newspaper.

He said he managed to pull the gas cylinder out of the kitchen but four motorbikes and a fridge were burnt.

Police suspect that the fire started from a motorbike belonging to Hanh's daughter in law, which was the last one brought into the kitchen the previous day. Rooms on the ground floor of a house often double up as a night-time garage in Vietnam.

The woman came home from work and still left the key in the motorbike, keeping the battery on. This, combined with a gas leak from the old motorbike, could have started the fire, police surmise.

An investigation has been launched into the accident.

RELATED CONTENT

PM urges investigations into vehicle fires, as study backs gas quality theory
Fuel to the fire

More than a hundred vehicles, limited to no types and brands, have caught fire across Vietnam since early last year and no official explanation has been made for the cause.

Related agencies from the central government are still investigating the fires, and poor gasoline quality has emerged the prime suspect so far.

A Thanh Nien investigation earlier this month revealed that many fuel trucks stopped on their way to gas stations to have the fuel mixed with additives, which were suspected to be combustible substances like ethanol or methanol.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News