Five-year-old accidentally lifted into the sky by massive kite, dies from 20-meter fall

By Hai Nam, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

 

The kite that caused the accident. Photo: Hai Nam

A five-year-old boy died falling from a giant kite flying some 20 meters in the air after his legs accidentally got entangled in the kite strings at a field in Ho Chi Minh City on Sunday.
The boy, Van Minh Dat, followed his mother, who sold drinks to kite flyers and spectators, to the Dong Dieu kite field in Hoc Mon District at around 4 p.m.
According to Dat's aunt, who witnessed the accident, the giant kite, which spans around 15 meters, was being launched by a members of the Saigon Kite Club.
The kite fell to the ground a couple of times as they were struggling to pull it up in the air due to unstable breeze. In one such falls it knocked down a table and some chairs near the drinks stall of Dat's mother, the witness said.  
Dat may have come near the kite to pick up some fallen soft drink bottles and gotten trapped in the kite lines. Strong winds flew the kite up right at that time, she said.
The aunt said she rushed to pull him down but in vain since the kite soared so fast. 
The kite was about 20 meters in the sky when one or several strings snapped. Dat tried to grab on to another line but failed, and fell to the ground.
The boy was rushed to hospital but he succumbed to his injuries soon afterwards.
According to eyewitnesses, the entire accident took place in just around 30 seconds.
The members of the Saigon Kite Club, which owned the kite, said they were practicing for an upcoming kite festival in the beach city of Vung Tau.
A kite-flyer of another club told Thanh Nien there were some people tasked with preventing children from approaching the kites but somehow they did not notice Dat.
Authorities are still investigating.

More Society News