Fire in Hanoi building sparks panic

TN News

Email Print

A fire broke out at a 14-storied building in Hanoi on Saturday, sending many of its occupants into panic, but there were casualties.

Nguyen Thi Nga, manager of Monaza Restaurant located at the Monaza Entertainment Center, said the fire started at a karaoke room at around 10.30 a.m.

Although the staff managed to extinguish it, the smoke spread throughout the third floor and to upper floors very quickly, she said.

This frightened those in the restaurant on the fourth floor, and they scrambled to get out of the building via windows to nearby houses and by climbing down a building scaffold to the ground, witnesses said.

Hanoi firefighters were mobilized to the site to prevent the fire from breaking out again.

Nga said the fire, caused reportedly by an electrical leak, destroyed two television sets and several devices in the karaoke room.

Located on Tran Duy Hung Street, the 2,500-square-meter Monaza center, which opened a year ago, hosts karaoke rooms, a coffee shop, restaurant and bar.

It is invested in by the Gio Hat Co. Ltd headed by Ho Thi Ba.

More Society News