Fire extinguisher killed tech at US consulate in Vietnam: police

TN News

Email Print

The air-conditioning technician at the US consulate in Ho Chi Minh City who died last Thursday was killed by a malfunctioning valve of a fire extinguisher not an exploded gas tank, as was reported previously.  

A statement by the Ministry of Public Security quoted local police as saying the accident occurred at 2:50 p.m. when Duong Trong Han, 33, was performing maintenance work in the consulate's warehouse in District 3.

The consulate had hired a transport company to deliver a 30-kilogram fire extinguisher from Diamond Plaza shopping center to the warehouse.

The fire extinguisher exploded when consulate staff had three of the transport company's workers open its valve to let some gas escape so as to render it operable.

The pressure of the blast sent the valve careening into Han's head, killing him instantly.

Police said the three transport workers were unharmed and that they are investigating further.

Earlier reports said a gas tank had leaked and exploded when Han was working on the air-conditioning system, and the pressure of the explosion caused the tank to collide with Han's head.

The tank then crashed against the warehouse's door and dented it, injuring five other consulate employees along the way, they had said.

The Ministry of Public Security's statement did not mention damage to the door or other injuries to other consulate employees. 

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

 

More Society News