A fire broke out in a slum in Ho Chi Minh City on Tuesday afternoon, burning out 13 houses but no injuries were reported.
The fire started at around 3:15 p.m. in the neighborhood near a small market in District 1’s Cau Ong Lanh Ward. The area is home to many makeshift houses inhabited by poor residents who make a living by unstable jobs.
Firefighting police completely put out the fire at around 5 p.m. the same day.
Eight houses were totally burned down, while five other houses were badly damaged after the blaze. Nearly all properties in the houses were also burned.
Around 100 affected residents were forced to sleep on the sidewalks of Vo Van Kiet Street on Tuesday night.
Hoang Thi Thu Lien, secretary of Cau Ong Lanh Ward’s Party unit, said authorities would arrange accommodations for affected residents to shelter and raise charity funds for them.
On Tuesday afternoon, authorities collected around VND30 million (US$1,334) from philanthropists to support the residents, she said.
The area where the fire broke out covers an area of 6,700 square meters with 756 residents.
Residents whose houses were burned in the blaze cry over their losses. Photo: Dao Ngoc Thach
A woman hugs her daughter after they manage to get out of their burning houses. Photo: Dao Ngoc Thach
Residents bring with them properties left after the fire. Photo: Doc Lap
They try to pull anything valuable out of their houses. Photo: Doc Lap
Something left after the fire. Photo: Doc Lap
A man and his daughter sit on the sidewalk of Vo Van Kiet Street. Photo: Dao Ngoc Thach
Residents sat on a bed they brought from their house to the sidewalk. Photo: Dao Ngoc Thach
A passer-by helps the residents to bring a TV out of a house. Photo: Hoai Nhon
A boy watches for the remaining properties. Photo: Dao Ngoc Thach
A woman and her properties. Photo: Dao Ngoc Thach
Firefighting police climb up the rooftop of a house to put out the fire. Photo: Pham Huu
The police manage to put out the fire in the narrow street. Photo: Pham Huu
A man rushes out of his house after the fire. Photo: Pham Huu