People at the building of Vietnam General Customs Department stand out of their rooms waiting for rescue during a fire accident May 23
There were no big flames or casualties but plenty of panic and smoke when the 18-story Vietnam General Customs Department building in Hanoi caught fire Wednesday.
Smoke from the first floor quickly began to shroud the building on Yen Hoa Street at around 4 p.m., and dozens of people working inside rushed to the roof and corridors waiting for rescuers to arrive.
"There was the smell of smoke, and in a short while I saw smoke everywhere," an eyewitness told news website Dan Tri.
More than 10 fire trucks and 100 police arrived at the spot.
Colonel To Xuan Thieu, deputy director of the Hanoi Fire Department who headed the rescue team, said a fire began due to a short circuit on the first floor.
Police are investigating.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment