The construction site of the 5-star JW Marriott Hanoi Hotel immersed in smoke on Thursday
A fire broke out at the construction site of a US$130 million five-star hotel being built in Hanoi, but no casualties were reported.
Witnesses said at around 3 p.m. that day they saw smoke coming from the first floor of the nine-storey JW Marriott Hotel while thousands of laborers were hard at wore. All the workers escaped the blaze without injury.
Seven fire trucks were mobilized to the site and the fire was extinguished within 20 minutes.
Colonel To Xuan Thieu, vice director of Hanoi Firefighting Department, told Thanh Nien that the cause may have been that the first floor's sponge part caught fire, adding that the incident happened as construction on the project was nearing its completion.
Police are investigating the case further, he said.
In the meantime, a report on VnExpress quoted the project's management board as saying that the fire could have been ignited by the spark generated by welding or hot weather.
Work on the site resumed as soon as the fire was put out, it said.
Part of the National Convention Center complex, which also includes the Hanoi Museum, the JW Marriott Hanoi covers 6.3 hectares and is expected to be completed this year. The project is managed by the US-owned company, Turner Construction International.
Last week a fire at the five-star Sofitel Saigon Plaza also sent hundreds fleeing, but no casualties were reported.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment