Expired chemicals used in class experiments exploded and sparked a fire at a Mekong Delta high school Thursday last week, a local education official said Monday.
Residents living near Lich Hoi Thuong High School in Soc Trang Province said the loud explosion shook the neighborhood and started a fire that reached five meters high.
They also said the smell of chemicals was heavy and thick in the air.
Mai Van Nhan, deputy director of Soc Trang Department of Education and Training, said no one was killed but the explosion left a hole nearly two meters in diameter and caused cracks and damages at nearby houses.
Neighboring residents have been moved from the area.
Nhan said the explosion was sparked by expired chemicals buried by the school in its yard. The department gave eight barrels of chemicals to the school in 2006.
But the school had only used one before they found the seven others had expired in September 2009.
Nhan said Soc Trang police and officials from the Department of Natural Resources and Environment would handle the matter.