Ex-officials probed for $2.1 mln loss at cinematography department

TN News

Email Print

Police have put four former officials under investigation for allegedly causing the loss of over VND44 billion (US$2.1 million) at Vietnam's Department of Cinematography.

Among the suspects is Le Ngoc Minh, who resigned from his position as the department's deputy chief last September, after suspicions were raised that department accountant Pham Thanh Hai was on the run with the money, a source told Thanh Nien Monday.

The three others are Tran Kim Phung, former chief accountant of the department, and Nguyen Kim Chi and Nguyen Thu Hien, both former accountants at the Ba Dinh District Treasury in Hanoi.

Meanwhile, Hai is still at large, reportedly having fled the country.

RELATED CONTENT

Vietnam ministry approves resignation in film department fraud

Initial police reports said that between 2009 and 2011 Hai faked documents and the signature of Lai Van Sinh, former chief of the cinematography department, to transfer money from the department's account to the account of its movie center.

After that, Minh, who owned the center's account, signed the documents that allowed Hai to withdraw money without checking them carefully, said investigators at the Ministry of Public Security.

Sinh also resigned from his position last year after many artists filed an appeal against him and Minh, asking them to take responsibility for Hai's fraud.

More Society News