Electrocution robbery gang jailed in southern Vietnam

By Le Nga - Dinh Toan, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Five young men stood a trial in Ho Chi Minh City on April 21 for electrocuting a man in an attempt to rob him of $147,000 in 2012. PHOTO COURTESY OF TIEN PHONG
A Ho Chi Minh City court on Monday sentenced five men to between 18-20 years in prison for assaulting a man with an electroshock baton in an attempt to rob him of US$147,000.
The defendants were members of a gang that consisted of eight people, but three others are still at large.
Agencies said the escaped members will be tried later when they are arrested.
The gang was found guilty of attacking and robbing Vong Cam Thanh on November 30, 2012, the HCMC People’s Court heard.
According to the indictment, Nguyen Minh Sang, one of the escaped robbers, knew that Thanh would receive a large sum of money sent by his family in Cambodia that day.
So, Sang asked seven others to carry weapons like electroshock batons and iron clubs to join him in robbing Thanh.
They followed Thanh to a crossroad in Binh Tan District, where the latter received $147,000 from another man and then put it in his motorbike’s under-seat tank.
On his way home, Thanh was approached by the gang who electrocuted and beaten him.
Thanh fell out of his motorbike and managed to run away from the attackers.
One of the robbers, Nguyen Ngoc Anh, took the bike and escaped.
However, on his way to escape, Anh was chased by some traffic police officers who caught him not wearing a helmet, and ordered him to pull over but he refused.
Anh was arrested soon later together with the robbed motorbike and the money inside.
Anh was sentenced to 20 years in prison for “robbery” at the Monday trial.
One his accomplices received the jail term of 19 years, while three others 18 years each for the same charge.
In other related news, police in the central province of Thua Thien – Hue said on Monday that they are hunting for three people who allegedly assaulting a married couple with an electroshock baton and robbing them of 45 taels of gold estimated at nearly VND1 billion (some US$48,000) one day before.
Initial information is that Le Hung Vo, 64, a gold shop owner, was riding his wife Nguyen Thi Yen, 63, to La Son market in Phu Loc District on a motorbike when three men on a bike approached them, and electrocuted Vo.
Vo fell out of the bike and lost consciousness.
The robbers then rushed to grab Yen’s handbag with the gold inside before fleeing the site.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News