Chinese toy allegedly sends 50 kids to hospital

By Que Ha, Thanh Nien News

Email Print


One of some 50 students hospitalized after inhaling gas emitted from a Chinese toy in the central province of Binh Thuan on May 13.  PHOTO: QUE HA
Roughly 50 students from an elementary school in the central province of Binh Thuan were rushed to the hospital after allegedly inhaling gas emitted by a Chinese-made toy on Tuesday.
A teacher at Tien Thanh No.1 Elementary School described the item to Thanh Nien as a glass bottle containing colorful liquid that was sold by vendors in front of the school for VND2,000.
A student accidentally broke the bottle, emitting fumes that could have caused widespread headaches, light fevers, and vomiting among the kids, according to the teacher, who wished to remain anonymous.
Dr. Nguyen Quoc Viet, vice director of Binh Thuan’s Department of Health, said ten students exhibiting serious symptoms were sent to the provincial hospital, the rest were treated at a commune health clinic.
Many students were discharged later that day.
Local agencies are investigating.
In January 39 students in the Central Highlands province of Dak Nong were also hospitalized with itchy rashes and trouble breathing caused by gas emitted from a kind of “bomb toy” allegedly imported from China.
It was later concluded that the toy, which exploded when squeezed, consisted a bag of weak organic citric acid and a bag of the food additive sodium bicarbonate.
This year Vietnamese authorities have already recalled and banned several Chinese toys found to contain excessively caustic or prohibited chemical substances.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News