Police in Hanoi have pressed criminal charges against a Chinese clinic and three Chinese doctors after forensic tests found shock from an infusion they gave had caused the death of a woman last month.
The Hanoi prosecutors' office will consider ratifying the charges.
Nguyen Thi Thu Phong, 35, died at the Maria clinic in Hanoi on the night of July 14, several hours after going there for a check-up due to fatigue.
Ten people were in charge of the case, including three Chinese people directly treating her Zhou Ji Anjao, Deng Qin Zhi and Zhang Ling Gong -- who all later escaped to China despite a travel ban imposed by Vietnam's police.
The three had been working at the clinic as doctors but they had not been licensed to do so by Vietnamese authorities.
Investigations showed that Zhou examined the patient and said she had an inflamed cervix, ordering galvanocautery treatment, which is cautery by means of a needle or knife made hot by galvanic current.
She first received a sugar influsion at the order of Deng, who also performed the cautery after Zhang anesthetized her.
After the process was finished, Phong's nose was stuffed up, and Zhang ordered two injections of a drug reportedly called Dexamethasone.
She recovered and was given an antibiotic infusion, soon after which she felt dizzy and died.
The clinic, which received its license to operate in December, 2010, has been suspened since the accident.
It has become infamous after being fined VND11.5 million ($552) by the Hanoi health department on June 27 for running commercials with false information and images, and for overcharging patients, most of whom came to the clinic following the advertisements.
In June, several clinics employing Chinese doctors in Ho Chi Minh City were fined for various violations. It was found that several doctors were unlicensed, expired medicines were being used and clinics were causing environment pollution.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment