Charges pressed against HCMC doctor for fatal accident

TN News

Email Print

Ho Chi Minh City police on Thursday pressed charges against a doctor who killed two women and injured 12 other people when he c rashed his car into a group of vehicles waiting for a red light to change.

Tran Anh Huy, a 42-year-old doctor at Children's Hospital 1, was charged with "violating traffic regulations" and put under house arrest while further investigations continue.

At around 4:15 p.m. on October 7, Huy drove a four-seater Toyota Corolla Altis on Ly Thai To Street in District 10.

Huy crashed into two cars traveling ahead of him in the same direction before driving into a crowd of motorists who had stopped before a red light at the intersection of Ly Thai To and Su Van Hanh.

Huy attempted to drive off and flee the scene but was stopped by passers-by and taken to a nearby police station.

At the scene, 13 motorbikes and two cars were badly damaged. A woman died on the spot, and another woman succumbed to her injuries after being treated at a local hospital.

The two dead women were later identified as Nguyen Thi Le Quyen, 43, and Ngo Thi Lien Chau, 37.

The collision at the stoplight threw one motorbike into the intersection, where it burst into flames, leaving a few people burned and injured.

The 12 injured victims suffered from multiple injuries and burns. All of them have been released from hospital.


HCMC doctor blamed for fatal accident

According to police, Huy confessed he collided with a motorbike and lost control of the vehicle, crashing into two cars traveling on the same direction.

He said he was terrified and stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake, which led to the accident.

Previously, Huy blamed "technical errors" for the accident.

Huy said he had stopped the car at the curb while waiting for his wife when he smelled something burned in the car.

He said the car then "automatically" accelerated and crashed into the two cars and 13 motorbikes. He said he could not stop the car as its brakes failed.

A subsequent inspection showed there was nothing wrong with the car.

More Society News