Campfire blaze sends 75 to hospital in central Vietnam

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

A ground at a local stadium in Thanh Hoa province where a campfire becomes uncontrollable, sending 75 to hospital. Photo credit: VnExpress. A ground at a local stadium in Thanh Hoa province where a campfire becomes uncontrollable, sending 75 to hospital. Photo credit: VnExpress.

RELATED NEWS

75 people, most of them teenagers, were hospitalized last night with burns after someone poured a bottle of gasoline into their campfire, turning the community event into a disaster.

Authorities in the central province of Thanh Hoa said Thursday morning all the victims were treated for burns in their legs, and 20 have been discharged from hospital.
Around 30 of the victims were children, they said.
The man who poured the gasoline was an organizer who had unintentionally caused the accident, the police said, adding they are investigating further.
More than a hundred people were gathered around the campfire organized in a stadium by the local government when one of the organizers said the fire was not big enough and decided to do something about it.
“The fire flared up uncontrollably that many screamed with fear and fled the scene,” a witness told news website VnExpress.
The government said it would provide each of the victims with VND 500,000 (US$25) for medical treatment.

More Society News