Two men were killed on Sunday while trying to extract explosive from a Vietnam War era unexploded bomb they found near their home in the southern province of Dong Nai.
Ngo Van Minh, 44, and Dao Van Hung, 43, were killed immediately in the blast, which happened at around 12:20 p.m. at Minh's house in Xuan Tay Commune, Dong Nai newspaper reported.
They reportedly decided to extract explosives by sawing the bomb open.
Their relatives and neighbors said they found Hung’s body in the kitchen pierced by many shrapnels.
Meanwhile, parts of Minh’s body were found in the backyard, they said.
Police said they are investigating.
Last week, two brothers aged 5 and 9 died on May 22 when a Vietnam War-era cluster bomblet exploded in their backyard in the central province of Quang Binh.
Locals said Pham Sy Hung and his younger brother Pham Huu Cuong might have found the sub-munition when they tended their cows in the fields, and brought it back home.
An unexploded bomb found in the Dong Nai River in November 2013. Photo: Le Binh.
The brothers were apparently trying to open it with pincers when it exploded.
Unexploded ordnance (UXO) have been killing four people and injuring six others every day since the Vietnam War ended in 1975, according to Committee 504, the national agency tasked with cleaning up UXO.
After 1975, 9,000 of Vietnam's 10,700 communes were identified as contaminated by unexploded ordnance (UXO). Though the Engineer Corps have worked hard to defuse them, 20 percent of the area remains contaminated, the agency reported.
More than 40,000 people have died and 60,000 others have been injured in the last 37 years, according to Committee 504.
According to the government, Vietnam needs US$10 billion to remove the estimated 800,000 tons of UXO, a job that can be done in 300 years with current pace, apart from billions more to resettle people and ensure social welfare at contaminated communes.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment