Baby dies in central Vietnam after family burns charcoal to keep warm

By Pham Duc, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

A newborn baby is being treated at the Nghe An General Hospital after his family heated their house with charcoal. Photo: Hoang Yen A newborn baby is being treated at the Nghe An General Hospital after his family heated their house with charcoal. Photo: Hoang Yen

RELATED NEWS

An 18-month-old baby girl died in the central province of Nghe An last week after her family heated their house with charcoal during a historic cold snap, police have confirmed. 
Four others in the family, including the girl's newborn brother and her mother, have been hospitalized, also for carbon monoxide poisoning. 
Their relatives said that last Thursday night, the girl's grandmother Nguyen Thi Tien burned charcoal to keep the bedroom warm. They were all sleeping in one room of around 15 square meters. 
When the relatives entered the room at 5:30 a.m. the next day, the baby girl had died and the four others were unconscious.
Doctors at Nghe An General Hospital said the charcoal was burning for a long time and producing a deadly amount of carbon monoxide. 
The four victims are recovering. 
Last year, the hospital saved five people who were also hospitalized in a similar incident. 
Nghe An is among many localities in the central and northern regions that have been hit by an unusual cold spell over the past several days, with temperature dropping to minus 6 degrees Celsius and snow falling in some mountainous areas.
The National Hydro-meteorological Forecasting Center said the cold spell will last through this Wednesday.

More Society News