Asphyxiation fatalities rise to 7 in northern Vietnam

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

One of the 12 victims, who fell unconscious in a karaoke parlor in Quang Ninh Province on Sunday night, is being treated at a local hospital. Photo: Thuy Hang One of the 12 victims, who fell unconscious in a karaoke parlor in Quang Ninh Province on Sunday night, is being treated at a local hospital. Photo: Thuy Hang

RELATED NEWS

One of 12 people, who passed out allegedly because of a generator’s exhaust in a closed karaoke room in the northern province of Quang Ninh, died early on Wednesday morning, bringing the number of fatalities to seven.
Nguyen Van Ky, 23, died at his home in Hai Ha District, Tien Phong newspaper reported.
Ky was rushed to a local hospital on Monday afternoon while he was unconscious. He was then transferred to another hospital after his condition did not improve.
His family brought him home late Tuesday, and he died several hours later.
Ky was among the group of 11 men and one woman who came to the Queen Club karaoke parlor in Hai Ha District on Sunday evening.
The group rented a room for karaoke singing and stayed overnight.
After a power outage occurred at around 11:30 p.m. on September 7, the karaoke parlor’s owner named Nguyen Huu Tuyen and other employees returned home, passing the parlor’s door key to Dinh Van Thuan, 29, the manager of the parlor.
Thuan reportedly brought a gas-powered generator into the karaoke room so the group could continue singing.
At around 3:30 p.m. on Monday, the parlor’s employees found 12 people lying unconscious in the room.
Six men, including Thuan, were found dead. Six others were rushed to hospital where they remained unconscious.
Currently, the five remaining victims are still in critical condition.
The police said they suspected the 12 victims were asphyxiated by the generator's exhaust.
On Tuesday, a doctor of Bai Chay Hospital, where some victims are being treated, said three of six people who were brought to the hospital had used methamphetamine.
However, the provincial Department of Health said there is not enough evidence to make such a conclusion.

More Society News