The health department in the Central Highlands province of Kon Tum Wednesday said alcohol consumed by five residents prior to their deaths failed
regulated methanol and aldehyde indexes.
Samples taken from two of five liquor selling shops in Ngoc Tem Commune failed the test, according to the department's preventive health center.
The tests were conducted after the five persons died between March 18-21 and alcohol poisoning was suspected.
Preliminary investigations show that the five men, along with three others, drank a total of 6.5 liters of alcohol over three days starting on the morning of March 15.
They all suffered headache, respiratory difficulties, convulsions, and lost consciousness before dying.
Investigations into the deaths are ongoing, local officials said.