60 garment workers faint in southern Vietnam after toxic gas leak

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

A man carries a worker after a toxic gas leak on Monday afternoon. Photo credit: VnExpress A man carries a worker after a toxic gas leak on Monday afternoon. Photo credit: VnExpress


Around 60 garment workers in the southern province of Dong Nai were hospitalized after being exposed to a toxic gas that had apparently leaked from a neighboring factory on Monday, doctors said.
The very first victims, who work for Asia Garment in the Amata Industrial Zone, told doctors that they started to detect the strange gas at around 3:30 p.m.
The gas, smelling like pesticide, prompted dozens of the workers to flee from their factory. 
However, most of them fainted before reaching the gate.
A taxi driver, who was parking near the gate, spotted them and called for help to carry the victims to hospital.
At around 6 p.m., there were more than 60 hospitalized at the provincial general hospital. Many of them had breathing difficulties and vomited. 
“Initial symptoms show that the workers were poisoned with ammonia, a strong and colorless gas which could cause respiratory problems when inhaled by a large amount,” Dr. Le Ngan was quoted by Vnexpress news website as saying.
Doctors are carefully monitoring the most severe cases, while some others have been discharged. 

Two female workers share the same bed at Dong Nai General Hospital on Monday afternoon.
Security guards at the Asia Garment factory told police that the unknown gas allegedly leaked into his factory from outside.
Some guards of Amanda Vietnam, which is next to the garment factory, admitted that there was a gas leak at their company at around 3:40 p.m.
The leak was fixed after five minutes.
Police say they are investigating the case.

More Society News