6 die at Vietnam karaoke parlor, gas asphyxiation suspected

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

A crowd of onlookers gather before the Queen Club karaoke parlor in Quang Ninh Province, where six people die presumably due to gas asphyxiation on Monday. Photo: Thuy Hang A crowd of onlookers gather before the Queen Club karaoke parlor in Quang Ninh Province, where six people die presumably due to gas asphyxiation on Monday. Photo: Thuy Hang
Six people died and six others lost consciousness Monday presumably due to asphyxiation at a karaoke parlor in the northern province of Quang Ninh.
At around 3 p.m. Monday, the owner of the Queen Club karaoke parlor in Quang Ninh’s Hai Ha District found a group of 12 youths, aged 20 something, lying unconscious in a karaoke room they had checked in the night before.
Six were found dead in the room. Six others were rushed to hospital and have remained unconscious.
Conflicting reports of the genders of the dead victims cannot be immediately reconciled. While the Vietnamese edition of Thanh Nien said of the six dead one was female, the online edition of Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper said they were all males.
Quang Ninh police said initial investigations found that the group had rent the room on Monday night and stayed there overnight.
After a power outage happened, the owner of the karaoke parlor used a power generator so the group could carry on singing.
The police said they suspected the six victims were asphyxiated by the generator gas. Doctors have also confirmed that the other six victims who are being treated at the hospital were unconscious due to gas asphyxiation.
Further autopsies would be underway to ascertain the cause of death, police said.
Quang Ninh Province borders China and is home to the world-renowned Ha Long Bay.

More Society News